Pension Estimation Program (Version 1.1.1)
January 25, 2005
An updated version of the HRS Pension Estimation Program is now available for download. The Pension Estimation Program is designed to estimate the pension entitlements held by respondents of the HRS, based on the plan formulas and benefit provisions obtained from the linked sample of pension providers. The program uses systems of equations to represent each of the pension plans, including all benefit formulas and payment provisions. These equations, in turn, use as input work and income histories of the respondents. For a given set of assumptions, the program calculates the appropriate pension entitlements, and generates output data files for subsequent analysis.
This version (v1.1.1) of the Pension Estimation Program incorporates the following updates and fixes:
- Certain combinations of user-selected parameters could create negative multipliers that would cause the previous version to crash. This problem has been corrected.
- Under certain circumstances the CombinationPlan.Normal formula did not take into account age and service requirements. This problem has been resolved.
- This installation package will install Microsoft.NET framework 1.1. If you have version 1.0 already installed, you may wish to uninstall it first.
- Interaction between Microsoft Visual Basic .Net and McAfee Anti-Virus software (version 8.0 only): If you are using this version of McAfee Anti-Virus software, and start the Pension Estimation program, you may notice that the listbox on the left side of the screen is blank. This is due to a known bug in the McAfee client. McAfee has a patch to fix this problem that can be be downloaded from their web site:
If you are affected by this problem, you will need to quit the Pension Estimation program and install the patch before proceeding.
- The Pension Estimation Program requires provider and respondent databases, available separately for 1992 and 1998, in order to generate estimates. New users should visit the HRS Restricted Data Web site for details on how to obtain the HRS 1992 Pension Plan Detail Data Set and the HRS 1998 Pension Plan Detail Data Set. Current users of HRS pension data should submit a request in writing in order to obtain the new products.