Cross-Wave HRS 1992-2008 Respondent Region and Mobility Dataset (v3.0)
May 25, 2010
This version of the HRS Cross-Wave Geographic Information: Respondent Region and Mobility file replaces the previously released (December 2009, v2.0) file. The new version corrects inaccurate information caused by a merge error that occurred when the December 2009 file was under construction.
This data product contains one record for each respondent, matching Tracker 2008, Version 1.0. It has 31,022 records, which are uniquely identified by Household Identifier (HHID) and Person Number (PN). This data set is released in conjunction with three restricted data sets:
- Cross-Wave Geographic Information (Detail)
- Cross-Wave Geographic Information (State)
- Child ZIP Codes (2004, 2006, 2008)
These four files contain all geographic information (public and restricted) currently available for HRS respondents.
In addition to cohort information and other tracker variables, each record includes:
- Two one-time region variables: region in which the respondent was born; and region where the respondent lived at age 10.
- For each wave, the region where the respondent was reached for an interview
- The HRS Urban-Rural Code, an urban/suburban/ex-urban flag derived from the Beale Rural-Urban Continuum Code
- Distance-moved variables (distance between time-1 time-2 address) for each pair of interview years
- Information on geographic information processing techniques for each wave.