Cross-Wave HRS 1992-2008 Respondent Region and Mobility Dataset (v2.0)
December 16, 2009
Version 2.0 of the Cross-Wave Geographic Information: Respondent Region and Mobility data set is now available. This public data product replaces all previously released HRS region-level geographic information products and includes geographic information for 1992 through 2008. The data set contains one record for each respondent (N=31,022), matching Tracker 2008, Version 1.0. Records are uniquely identified by Household Identifier (HHID) and Person Number (PN). This data set is released in conjunction with three restricted data sets:
- Cross-Wave Geographic Information (Detail)
- Cross-Wave Geographic Information (State)
- Child ZIP Codes (2004, 2006, 2008)
These four files contain all geographic information (public and restricted) currently available for HRS respondents.
In addition to cohort information and other tracker variables, each record includes:
- Two one-time region variables: region in which the respondent was born; and region where the respondent lived at age 10.
- For each wave, the region where the respondent was reached for an interview
- The HRS Urban-Rural Code, an urban/suburban/ex-urban flag derived from the Beale Rural-Urban Continuum Code
- Distance-moved variables (distance between time-1 time-2 address) for each pair of interview years
- Information on geographic information processing techniques for each wave.