HRS 1992-2002 Respondent Region Dataset (v1.0)
January 15, 2004
The HRS 1992-2002 Respondent Region Dataset is now available. The data file contains one record for each respondent (matching Tracker v3.1). In addition to identification information, each record includes the Census Division in which the Household 1 address associated with the respondent was located.
This dataset is designed to assist analysts who wish to use region and between-wave mobility information in conjunction with interview-year core and exit files. A Census Division code is included for each respondent based upon:
- carried-forward data for respondents who did not change residence
- new data for respondents who changed residences.
Additional information is provided on the urban-rural characteristics of the address associated with the respondent. The HRS Urban-Rural Code is derived from the Beale Rural-Urban Continuum Code, which is collapsed to preserve respondent confidentiality. The HRS Urban-Rural Code assigns respondents to 3 categories:
- Urban (Beale Rural-Urban Continuum code 0)
- Suburban (Beale Rural-Urban Continuum codes 1,2)
- Ex-urban (Beale Rural-Urban Continuum codes 3,4,5,6,7,8,9).
The dataset may be downloaded from the HRS Public File Download Area. Registration (free) is required for access.