Comparison of Variables in Versions 1, 2, 3, and 4
HRS 1996 Core (Final V4.0)
Version 4 of the 1996 HRS Core Final Data Release incorporates a number of minor changes.
- Some variables previously included in the respondent-level coversheet file are now provided in a household-level coversheet file instead.
- A number of other variables were added. Included in version 4 are four variables
from Section A that were not included in previous versions:
E709 A26a.HAVE YOU ALWAYS LIVED AT RES E710 A26b. LIVE GEN AREA BEFORE E711 A26c.YEARS LIVED MAIN HU AREA E712 A26c.SINCE YEAR LIVE MAIN HU
- Also added in version 4 are a number of variables that, while not of particular substantive interest, are references in assignment statements or in INAP text.
Retrospectively, major differences in Versions 1, 2, and 3 are summarized below.
- Version 1 of the HRS 1996 Final Core Data Release included only sections CS, A, B, F, J, N and R.
- Version 2 included all sections, but did not include variables identified as "family" variables most of which are located in sections D and J.
- Version 3 included all sections and all variables.
In brief, the major differences in variables included in versions 1, 2, and 3 were:
- Many household family variables added to section D in version 3.
- Household financial variables added to section J in version 3.
- Bracket components included in version 3.
- Bracket summary variables not included in version 3.
- "Standard" IDs included in version 2 and version 3.
- Continue variables only included in version 2.
- Timestamp variables only included in version 1.
See Detailed Listing of Variables in Versions 1, 2, 3, and 4 for a complete listing variables not included in all four versions.